Global Language Training aims to be as clear as possible about how and why we use personal information about you through our website.
We're the UK's largest online and in-class TEFL/TESOL training organization. We also offer international English proficiency exams and other academic services.
Global Language Training Ltd. is registered in England and Wales. Registered Number 7854956. Registered Office: 20 22 Wenlock Rd., London, N1 7GU.
Type of information we collect about you
When you enrol in one of our programmes or tests we collect name, address and contact details (such as email, address and telephone number) when you submit an on-line form, when requesting a quote or because you purchased a course or service from us. We may also collect opinions or additional data about you that you have added into the free text area in the contact us forms, in our course forums, in surveys in the course or through any resulting correspondence with our team, phone calls or through surveys.
We also collect additional relevant information about you when you apply for jobs in our jobs list page. We need to collect this in order for you to benefit from the jobs offered and to forward this to our recruitment partners or schools. If you do not, we would be unable to do this.
When visiting our website, we collect your IP address, data showing when you visited, which pages you looked at, information about your operating system, country of origin, device and browser version. This data is gathered using commonly used tools such as cookies. We may, in the future, also use information from our social media sites if you use your credentials to log into our learning platforms or testing platforms. The information you allow us to access varies by social media network site and it also depends on the privacy settings you have in place.
Why we collect personal information about you
Your payment information, credit, debit or PayPal payments:
We do not retain payment information from any of our students/clients as this service is provided through a third-party payment provider. We take payments and provide refunds when necessary to fulfil our contract with you but the information is not stored on our website, servers or any of our databases. We check and verify payment to prevent fraud or detect fraud against you or our company.
When we have your permission or consent
Where we have a justifiable reason or a legitimate interest
• To enhance or improve your experience with us and how you use our learning platform or website. This may mean that we learn about your preferences and habits and then tailor our communications with you to make sure that what we send is relevant to you (‘profiling’).
• To put your information together with other customers data and external non personal information so that we better understand our market through analysis and segmentation to ensure that we keep offering competitive products and services and improve our website.
• To send you special course offers, new services via marketing materials where we can demonstrate a relationship with you and you have not told us that you do not want to receive these.
• To maintain our list of people who have asked not to receive direct marketing material from us.
• To help keep our website safe and secure.
• To allow our internal business processes to function- for example transacting with our partners, carrying out audits, producing management information and dealing with complaints.
• To undertake market research for the purpose of offering our courses and services.
• To request feedback on our performance and that of our courses.
• To help prevent fraud and maintain security on our website and learning platform.
• To assist in training, quality assurance and compliance.
Where we have to do something by law or where we have a legal obligation
• To ensure that your rights are met under the UK Data Protection Act.
• To meet our legal obligations with law enforcement agencies, police, courts and other government organisations or agencies
Who we share your information with?
We do not sell your information to anyone and only pass it to our trusted partners and service providers who work in job placing when you apply for a job through our jobs department.
We may pass your information to:
• Service providers who work for us such as marketing agencies, marketing survey sites or mass email marketing campaign websites.
• Regulatory bodies, courts and law enforcement agencies.
How long do we keep your personal information?
How long we keep your personal information depends on why we have it and what we’re doing with it. For our TEFL/TESOL courses we keep it indefinitely for certificate verification purposes as some future employer may contact us or verify the authenticity of your certificate.
• We keep records of any dealings you have with us for up to 3 years after the last contact. This is so that we can respond to any complaints or disputes that may arise about any of our courses or if you wish to re-enrol in one of our courses.
• We will keep other personal information about you if it is necessary for us to do so to comply with the law.
• Data collected from using the website such as IP address is deleted after 1 year.
Transferring information outside of the EEA
Your personal information may be processed outside the European Economic Area (EEA) where privacy laws may not provide protection to the same level as in the UK. Before any transfer takes place, we will take steps to ensure that your personal information will be adequately protected as required by the UK Data Protection Act and that safeguards such as standard contractual clauses are in place. For more information please see the individual product or service policies or contact us.
In using our website and submitting queries, your information is able to be viewed from other countries by the service providers who do maintenance on our platform on our behalf. Contracts are in place (known as an ‘EU Model Clause’) to allow the data to transfer so that your information is kept secure and managed to the standards required by the UK Data Protection Act.
Consent: Where we use your information on this basis, you have the right to withdraw that consent.
Correction ('Right to Rectification'): We always want to use the most up to date information about you so please get in touch if you think we don’t have that.
Deletion ('Right to be Forgotten'): In some circumstances, including where we are relying on your consent to use your data, you have a right to request us to delete your information. When you request to be deleted from our platform, any future employer who wishes to verify your certificate, will not be able to do so.
'Right to Portability': If we have collected your data because you have given us consent, or because we need it in order to provide you with a course or service, you have the right to receive the information you gave to us back in a 'machine-readable' format.
'Right to Object' and 'Right to restriction of processing': If we are using your data for activities under the 'legitimate interest' justification and in other circumstances, then you have a right to request restriction of processing and also a right to object to that processing.
Complain: you have the right to lodge a complaint with our company if you think that our use of your information doesn’t meet the law.
For further information about our privacy practices and to request any of these rights then please contact our team. To contact us please email us at:
Keeping your personal information secure
At Global Language Training we take the security of your personal information seriously. We've implemented technology and security policies, rules and measures to protect the personal information we have under our control, both on and offline, from improper access, use, alteration, destruction and loss.
We will take all reasonable and proportionate steps to protect your personal information.